Rhodes chronology

Rhodes Fire Station taken around 1930
Rhodes Fire Station taken around 1930

Pre 1794

Land occupied by the Wangal Clan, a tribe of the Eora.  

1794 

Land grant to Frederick Meredith covering the western side of the Rhodes peninsula, extending south to approximate site of Rhodes Station and Mary Street. Adjacent land grants to John Bray and Simon Donally.

1819

Thomas Walker (1791-1861) purchased land at Rhodes from Meredith.

1823

Rhodes House built by Thomas Walker (1791-1861) at the time of his marriage to Anna Elizabeth Blaxland. It was named after Rhodes Hall, his mother’s ancestral home near Leeds in England.  

1832

Walker family moved to Tasmania and Rhodes House leased.  

1840s

George Richard Uhr purchased land at Rhodes from Simon Donally and built Llewellyn House.  

1870 

Anna Walker returned with her family to Rhodes House.  

1883  

Rhodes became part of the Municipality of Concord.  

1886  

Meadowbank-Rhodes Railway Bridge completed.  

1886 

Northern Rail line between Strathfield and Hornsby opened. Rhodes was the first railway station in Concord municipality.  

1895 

The first subdivision of the Walker’s Estate at Rhodes was made in September 1895 when part of the land along with the adjoining Llewellyn Estate of the Brays was sold.  

1900s

NSW State Sawmill was established at Rhodes.  

1910

Another section of the Walker’s Estate at Rhodes was sold.  

1911  

Mary Bray sold some of the Bray Estate to G. and C. Hoskins Co Ltd who established a pipe works.  

1912

Land around Uhrs Point subdivided and auctioned.  

1914 

Robert Tulloch purchased remainder of the Bray property.  

1915

Tulloch's Phoenix Ironworks established.  

1918 

Rhodes House demolished.  

1919 

John Darling & Son flour mill established.  

1920 

Rider & Bell Pty Ltd commenced production at Cavell Avenue, Rhodes.  

1922

Rhodes Public School opened.  

1923

H. McKenzie Ltd, timber and  joinery merchants purchased the NSW State Sawmill.  

1928

Timbrol Limited, manufacturers of timber preservatives established G. and C. Hoskins Co Ltd pipe works closed.

1930

Earth jetty established near Phillips site marked the beginnings of reclamation in this area.

1939  

Reclamation work at Timbrol site.  

1943

Tulloch’s became the Commonwealth Shipbuilding Yard No. 4 during World War II.  

1943

CSR purchased G. and C. Hoskins Co Ltd site.  

1947

CSR commenced preparation of their site for chemical manufacture.  

1948

Reclamation of 4.8 hectares of Homebush Bay to accommodate the CSR factory site.  

1950s

Reclamation of area now known as Rhodes Park.  

1953

CSR officially opened and production of cellulose acetate commenced.  

1957

Union Carbide purchased the Timbrol site and commenced production of chemicals, herbicides and pesticides.  

1960

John Darling & Son taken over by Allied Mills, subsidiary Allied Feeds established on the site.  

1968

Tulloch's Phoenix Ironworks foundry closed.  

1969

H. McKenzie Ltd, timber and joinery site auctioned.            

1974

Tulloch's Phoenix Ironworks other operations closed permanently.  

1980

John Whitton Railway Bridge constructed.  

1981

McIlwaine Park opened.  

1988

Union Carbide undertook remediation work of their site.  

1989

State Pollution Control Commission banned fishing in Homebush Bay. Rhodes Public School closed.  

1990

Union Carbide site sold to Lednez which undertook some further remediation work on the site.  

1994

Kokoda Track Memorial Walkway, between Brays Bay Reserve and Concord Hospital established.    

1997

State Government committed to remediation of dioxin contamination of Homebush Bay.  

1999

Lednez site sold to State Government for a peppercorn amount so the Government could assume responsibility for clean-up of the site.  

1999

State Government gazetted the Sydney Regional Environmental Plan, establishing the Minister for Planning as authority for development within the Rhodes Peninsular redevelopment area.  

2000

Rhodes became part of the City of Canada Bay when Concord and Drummoyne Councils amalgamated.  

2002

Remediation report on the Lednez site (formerly Union Carbide).

2004

Rhodes Waterside Shopping Centre completed.            

2005

Conservation of remnant saltmarsh vegetation at Lovedale Place, Brays Bay.

2009

Rhodes West Master Plan released.

Page last updated on: 02/04/14

Blog - Canada Bay Connections

Visit our Canada Bay Connections Blog! Your memories and comments are most welcome!
×

If you require a new chat session, please refresh your browser

Your details