Access to policies and information
The Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 (NSW), (GIPA Act), establishes a comprehensive system for public access to government information.
The objective of the Act is to:
- Make government information more accessible to the public by requiring government agencies to make certain sorts of information freely available
- Encourage government agencies to release as much other information as possible
- Give the public an enforceable right to make access applications for government information
- Restrict access to information only when there is an overriding public interest against disclosure.
The Information and Privacy Commission (IPC) oversees the public access to government information system. For a better understanding of your right to information you can access the IPC website www.ipc.nsw.gov.au
Accessing Council Information
Council publishes a range of information under the GIPA Act. Follow the links to find out more about our Policies, Council's Publication Guide, a disclosure log of information applications, details of information not disclosed to the public and our register of government contracts.
It should be noted that the IPC has advised all Councils that plans accompanying Development Applications (DAs) (other than DAs currently on exhibition) are 'view only'. Access to Information applicants are advised that Council will not provide copies of plans for DA applications (other than DAs currently on exhibition) unless written permission is received from the copyright owner.
What information is held by Council?
For details of the Council's structure and functions, the various kinds of information it holds and how it may be accessed, please refer to Council's Publication Guide and Disclosure Log below.
What information is publicly available?
- Council Policies
- Information about The City of Canada Bay
- Information about Development Applications (DAs)
- Plans and Strategies
Agendas and Minutes of Council Meetings (excluding Confidential items as prescribed under Section 10A of the Local Government Act 1993.
To view required information, select the links below:
Information about Development Applications (DAs)
Link to Online DA tracking
The following information relating to development applications is also prescribed as open access according to the GIPA Act:
- acoustic consultant reports
- construction certificates
- heritage consultant reports
- home warranty insurance
- land contamination consultant reports
- occupation certificates
- records of decisions made on development applications (including decisions made on appeal)
- structural certification documents
- submissions received on development applications
- town planner reports
- tree inspection consultant reports
If the information you are searching for is not currently on Council's website, it can be obtained by completing an Access to Information form.
Further information relating to current DAs can also be obtained by contacting the Statutory Planner handling the matter.
The following information is available to the public, and can be obtained by completing an Access to Information Form.
- All Applications for approval under Part 1 of Chapter 7 in the Local Government Act
- Applications for approvals under any other Act and any associated documents received
- Compulsory Acquisition Notices
- Council's Specific Plans of Management
- Land Register Register of Investments
- Leases and Licenses for use of Public Land classified as Community Land.
- Orders given under Part 2 of Chapter 7 of the LGA, and any reasons given under section 136 of the LGA
- Orders given under the Authority of any other Act
- Plans of land proposed to be compulsorily acquired by Council
- Records of approvals granted or refused, any variation from Council Policies with reasons for the variation, and decisions made on appeals concerning approvals
- Records of Building Certificates under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979
- Register of Delegations
- Register of Graffiti Removal works
- Returns of Interests of Councillors and Designated Persons
Page last updated on: 02/03/17