Skip to main content

Construction process

View the seven steps below to find out more information about the construction process. Each step includes a link to the relevant application form.

Note: This is a general guide of the steps involved in the construction process only.  In some cases there may be additional steps that are required to be completed throughout the construction phase, for example when an application has deferred commencement conditions.

Step 1 - Application for Construction Certificate or Complying Development Certificate

A construction certificate is required after development consent is issued and before work is carried out.  The construction certificate is a certificate verifying that relevant matters specified in a development consent and applicable legislation have been satisfied.  Council's Certification Team issue Construction Certificates. If you would like Council to issue the construction certificate, you will need to lodge a Construction Certificate application through the NSW Planning Portal:

A development consent and construction certificate are not required where an application for a complying development certificate (CDC) is made.

The CDC is a certificate verifying that relevant matters and controls as specified in the relevant Environmental Planning Instruments (eg SEPP Exempt and Complying Development Codes, 2008), Building Regulation and other relevant legislation have been satisfied. A complying development certificate is also required before commencement of works.

Step 2 - Issue of Construction Certificate / Complying Development Certificate

Council will issue a Construction Certificate after they are satisfied that:

  • the construction certificate plans and specifications are consistent with the development consent
  • the development complies with the Building Code of Australia and all relevant technical standards
  • all required conditions of development consent have been complied with and
  • all fees and contributions have been paid.
Step 3 - Appointment of principal certifying authority

When Council is nominated as the Principal Certifying Authority (PCA) it is required to inspect the building work during the course of construction to ensure compliance with the development consent, construction certificate or complying development certificate and building regulations. To appoint Council as the PCA, complete the Principal Certifying Authority Service Agreement and submit to Council.

Step 4 - Notice of commencement

Council must be notified of the intended commencement of works at least 2 days prior to the commencement of any works.  This can be done by completing the Notice of Commencement Form and lodging the form with Council.

Step 5 - Critical stage inspections

Council as your PCA will give you a list of the mandatory critical stage inspections and any other inspections required throughout the construction of the building. Under the provisions of the Environmental Planning & Assessment Act 1979, these inspections are mandatory.  You need to be aware of these inspections as they are required to be carried out at the appropriate time.

Your principal contractor (builder) will need to contact Council at least 48 hours before an inspection is required.  If you are an owner-builder, you will need to contact Council at least 48 hours before an inspection is required.

Step 6- Issue of Occupation Certificate

Prior to the occupation or the use of any building an occupation certificate must be issued by the PCA. The occupation certificate verifies that the PCA is satisfied that the building is suitable to occupy or use in accordance with the approved Building Code of Australia (BCA) classification and relevant development consent conditions. To apply for an occupation certificate from Council, please lodge your application through the NSW Planning Portal: The certificate may be an interim or a final certificate and may be issued for the whole or any part of the building.

In the case of buildings other than single residential dwellings, dual occupancies and associated development (ie. decks, awnings, garages), the application must be accompanied by a fire safety certificate.  

Step 7 - Refund of damage deposit

Council as your PCA will carry out a footpath inspection after the final inspection has been completed to determine if any damage has been done during the construction works.  If an Accredited Private Certifier is the PCA, Council will carry out a footpath inspection after the occupation certificate has been received by Council. If no damage has occurred during construction, Council will refund the damage deposit.

You will not be penalised for any pre-existing damage that is shown on the Driveway and Footpath Pre-Commencement Damage Report.