Skip to main content

Pet Information


The NSW Companion Animals Act was introduced in 1999 to protect pets, their owners and the broader community.

The Act introduced measures such as microchipping and lifetime registration of all new kittens, puppies, cats and dogs sold or given away after 1 July 1999.

All dogs must be microchipped and have lifetime registration.

Cats born before 1 July 1999 do not have to be registered unless they are sold or transfer ownership.

All cats born, sold or given away after 1 July 1999 must be microchipped and have lifetime registration.

View Council's fact sheets relating to Cat and Dog Registration and Identification and Choosing and Managing Your Pet for further information.

Council has a number of animal management fact sheets that can be viewed below.

Keeping of animals

Animals* such as poultry and swine can be kept within the City of Canada Bay Local Government area provided they comply with the Local Government Act 1993 & Regulations and the requirements under the Statement Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes ) 2008. 

If you are interest in keeping any of these animals or have an enquiry about requirements to keep these animals – you will find this page useful.

*Animals in this section refer to poultry and swine only.  

Contacting the Environmental Health Team

For further information regarding any of the information contained within this section, please contact Council's Environmental Health team via email or Monday to Friday on 9911 6555.

Responsibilities of owners and occupiers

As an occupier or an owner of a premise, you are responsible for the upkeep of the property and to ensure the premise is kept in a safe and healthy condition.  

In built up areas the housing and keeping of these animals may cause nuisances to nearby neighbours and have a negative effect with regards to harbourage for vermin, odour pollution and noise pollution.

To prevent these issued from arising you can:

  1. Ensure the houses and yards which the animals live in are maintained in a safe and healthy condition
  2. Ensure droppings, feathers, food scraps are cleaned and removed from site daily to ensure they are kept clean and free from offensive odour  
  3. Ensure poultry yards are at all times kept in a clean condition and free from offensive odours
  4. Ensure food storage compartments are able to be vermin proof or are stored in vermin proof enclosure.   

Due to potential noise nuisances roosters are not permitted within the Canada Bay Local Government Area. 

The following table aims to provide you with appropriate information.

Table 1:

Types of animals Recommended 
maximum numbers
minimum distances
Other requirements
Swine   Shall not be kept (and swine’s dung must not be deposited) within 60metres (or such greater distance as the Council may determine in a particular case) of a dwelling, school shop, office, factory, workshop, church or other place of worship, public hall, or premises used for the manufacture, preparation, sale or storage of food.   
Fowls , Gallus gallus or guinea fowls No more than five
No roosters

Shall be located at least three meters from each boundary lot.

Shall not be kept within 4.5 meters (or such greater distance as the Council may determine in a particular case) of dwelling, public hall, school or premises used for the manufacture, preparation, sale or storage of food.

The poultry house must not be higher than three meters above ground level (existing).

The floor of the poultry house must be paved with concrete or mineral asphalt underneath the roosts or perches or must be situated on clean sand.

The poultry house must not have a floor area of more than 15m².

Poultry yard must be enclosed as to prevent the escape of poultry and must be located in the rear yard.

The poultry house must be constructed or installed so that roof water is disposed of without causing a nuisance to adjoining neighbours.

 If it is comprised of metalcomponents - be constructed if low reflective, factory pre-coloured materials if it is located on land in a residential zone.

 There is not be more than 1 poultry house per lot.

Poultry (other than referred to above)

No more than five

No roosters

Shall be located at least 3 meters from each boundary lot.

Shall not be kept within 30 meters of any building, dwelling, public hall, school or premises used for the manufacture, preparation, sale or storage of food.

General tips

In general, the yard and area in which animals/pets are being housed within the City of Canada Bay Local Government Area is to be kept in a clean and healthy condition. Here are some tips for you to ensure you do not cause a nuisance to adjoin neighbours:

  • Keep your pet contained within your property
  • Ensure their droppings/excretion are regularly removed from the yard and placed in a covered bin for disposal to negate odour issues
  • Ensure their home (where they sleep and are housed) is located away from neighbouring properties and is constructed of material which is easily cleanable
  • Ensure all food is stored in sealed in vermin-proof containers and ensure they are not left uncovered.       

More information

Barking dogs

Advice for dog owners

If you own a dog that barks excessively, there are positive steps you can take to prevent the dog from barking too much and to reduce and prevent offensive noise to your neighbours.

The Barking Dog Fact Sheet provides good advice on caring for your dog and provides an insight as to why your dog is barking. It also explains the law applying to noise from dogs and provides information that is intended to make life better for you, your dog and your neighbours.

Making a complaint about a barking dog

If you experience unwanted noise such as excessive barking or other problems associated with dogs in your local neighbourhood, there are a number of things you can do.

Contact your neighbour first, calmly explain to them what is happening and how it is affecting you. The owner may not be aware that their animal is causing a nuisance. If you have ideas on how to resolve the issue you could suggest this to the owner.

If the first approach does not work there are community justice centres available to help mediate between you and your neighbour. They may be able to help you come up with a resolution.

Lodging a complaint with Council

If you are unable to resolve the animal nuisance issue by talking with the pet owner, a complaint can be made to the City of Canada Bay by phoning 9911 6555 or by completing an online Animal Complaint Form.

Nuisance Orders

Should a cat or dog repeatedly make noise, damage other people’s property or chase people, animals or vehicles, Council may issue a Nuisance Order.

A Nuisance Order may be issued if your dog is found to be repeatedly:

  • Roaming the neighbourhood
  • Making a noise
  • Defecating on other people's property
  • Chasing a person, animal or vehicle
  • Causing damage to property.  

More information

Dangerous dogs

Under the Companion Animals Act you can be held responsible for any damage or injury caused by your dog if it attacks a person or animal.

If your dog attacks a person or animal without provocation Council can declare it a 'dangerous dog'. You will be notified by Council if this happens and be given an opportunity to comment. Your case will then be considered and a decision made as to whether to declare your dog dangerous. You would then have 28 days to appeal to a local court against a dangerous dog declaration.

Once your dog is declared dangerous strict controls apply. These include:

  • Restraining your dog when on your own land to prevent it from attacking any person or animal
  • Erecting signs on your property which are clearly visible from outside saying 'Warning Dangerous Dog'
  • Ensuring your dog is on a leash and muzzled at all times when outside your property without exception
  • Follow any other laws laid down by Council as a result of your dog being declared dangerous.

The following breeds of dog are classified as restricted and must be muzzled when outside your land:

  1. American pit bull terrier or pit bull terrier
  2. Japanese tosa
  3. Dogo Argentino
  4. Fila Brasiliero
  5. Any dog declared by a Council under Division 6 of the Companion Act 1998 to be a restricted dog
  6. Any other dog of a breed, kind or description prescribed by the regulations for the purposes of this section.

Note: the importation into Australia of dogs referred to in paragraphs (1) to (4) is prohibited under the Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulations 1956 of the Commonwealth.

Lost and found animals

Lost dogs and cats collected by Council are scanned in an attempt to identify the owner so that they may be returned.

If Council is unable to return the animal to the owner it will be impounded at:

Blacktown Animal Holding Facility 
415 Flushcombe Road, Blacktown 
Phone: 9839 6161

Pets that are currently being held at the centre can be viewed on the Pets Online database.

Local pet services directory

Please contact the City of Canada Bay if there are other local services available so this directory can be kept up to date.

Council does not endorse any one particular company and cannot be held responsible for any inappropriate advice.

Animal welfare

Authorised identifiers — Microchipping

Pet Services

Companion animal management plan

The purpose of the Companion Animal Management Plan (CAMP) is to balance community amenity, animal welfare and environmental preservation whilst promoting responsible pet ownership. The CAMP provides effective companion animal management through accessible and equitable use of community facilities.

Throughout the plan, the latest best practice principles in companion animal management are applied. An integrated, strategic, cooperative approach is used, and these principals will be applied and incorporated into Council's existing and future management planning.