Skip to main content

Dividing fences


The Dividing Fences Act 1991 outlines the laws regarding dividing fences. Any disputes between neighbours regarding dividing fences are out of the City of Canada Bay's jurisdiction. You will need to contact the Community Justice Centre:

For more information regarding this Act, please go to the NSW Department of Primary Industries website. 

Refer to State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008 for the exempt development criteria for erecting a fence behind the building line without requiring development consent from Council.