Skip to main content

Driveway and ancillary works


If you are planning to undertake works between your property boundary and the kerb and gutter or road (Council land), then you must seek consent from Council.

The following process applies to all driveway works on public land.

To get started

If you intend to construct a new hardstand car space or extend an existing hardstand car space, and/or hardstand car space with carport over within the front setback area of your property, then you will need development approval from Council first. 

Plan the location of your driveway to consider street trees, stormwater pits and traffic islands.

You will need to complete the following application to seek approval for the location of your driveway on public land.  This application considers removal/relocation of street trees and other public infrastructure. The cost of any remedial works is at the property owner's expense.

More information:

Steps to obtain approval: 

Step 1 - Obtain written consent for the LOCATION of the driveway

If you are looking to carry out any of the below listed works, you must apply for and obtain written consent through the lodgement of the relevant application in the first instance:

  • Construct new vehicular crossover
  • Construct new footpath and/or kerb and gutter within property frontage
  • Extend existing vehicular crossover
  • Remove existing vehicular crossover and kerb invert
  • Repair/replace an existing driveway crossover
  • Repair or reconstruct kerb and gutter within property frontage
  • Repair or reconstruct footpath within property frontage
  • Widen existing vehicular crossover.

Council requirements:

The City of Canada Bay Development Control Plan provides Council's requirements when constructing a driveway and needs to be considered when submitting your application. The requirements will ensure safe access to and from your property and prevent stormwater from entering your property from the street.

Once written approval is issued, continue to Step 2.

Step 2 - Obtain written consent to CONSTRUCT your driveway

Consent must be gained for the construction of the driveway through the lodgement of a Vehicular Crossing Construction by Private Contractor application.

This is to be lodged no sooner than one month prior to works being scheduled.

Driveway application FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) regarding the City of Canada Bay driveway application process.

If I have a Development Approval (DA) for my driveway, do I require a Driveway approval?

Development Approval (Consent) relates only to work within your property boundary. Approval or non-approval of your driveway and ancillary works from your property boundary to the kerb and gutter or road (Council land) can only be confirmed when a formal Driveway and Ancillary Works Application is lodged with Council and a written response issued by Council’s City Services team. 

Please note: Council adpots a two-part approval process for driveway and ancillary works.

What are ancillary works?

Ancillary works refers to any works other than driveways and laybacks, such as footpath construction or reconstruction, road pavements, stormwater drainage pits and the like, within public infrastructure (Council land).

How long is my Driveway and Ancillary Works Location Approval valid for?

Driveway Location approval associated with either a Development Application (DA) or Complying Development Certificate (CDC) are valid for the same approval duration as the DA or CDC. An approved DA/CDC is currently valid for five (5) years, and requires commencement of activities relevant to the DA/CDC within the five (5) year period.

Approvals not associated with one of these type of applications are valid for twelve (12) months from the date of issue

If your approval expires, you will be required to submit a new application and pay all applicable fees.

I want to repair my driveway, do I need to apply for Council approval?

If you are planning works from your property boundary to the kerb and gutter or road then you will need to submit a Driveway and Ancillary Works Application to Council. This is stipulated to ensure that the reconstruction is carried out to Council standards.

Please Note: Council adopts a two-part Driveway and Ancillary Works approval process.

What are the development types and how do I know which one applies to me?

The costs associated with Council's Driveway and Ancillary Works Location Application are based on the type of development you are looking to undertake and the number of driveway entries you are applying for.

The classification for each development type is stipulated below. Please read the information thoroughly before submitting your application form as the application fees are non-refundable. Refer to Council's fees and charges for current application fees.

Residential single driveway

Council classifies a residential single driveway as an owner occupied, single dwelling property with a single driveway. If you are repairing/extending/removing an existing driveway or constructing a new single driveway then this development type applies to you. This development type is for properties that will have a single driveway at the property only.

If you already have an existing driveway and are seeking approval for a second driveway then you need to apply for either the duplex/residential driveways < 3 storey or industrial/commercial/residential driveways > 3 storey development type (see next heading).

Please ensure that you read Council's specification document on the number of driveways permitted before submitting an application. 

Duplex/residential driveways < 3 storey

Council classifies duplex/residential driveways < 3 storey as residential properties less than three (3) stories in height.

Duplexes may be permitted to have a single combined driveway, however the maximum width may be assessed as if the site was for a single dwelling, or a width that would be sufficient to permit only one vehicular movement to enter and exit the site in a forward direction. If you are seeking to apply for a single combined driveway the number of entries you enter on the application form is one (1). If you are seeking approval for two (2) separate driveways then the number of entries you enter on the application form is two (2).

If you already have an existing residential driveway and are seeking approval for a second driveway then this development applies to you.

Please ensure that you read Council's specification document on the number of driveways permitted before submitting an application.  

Industrial/commercial/residential driveways > 3 storey

Council classifies industrial/commercial/residential driveways > 3 storey as properties greater than three (3) stories in height and where a property may currently have or intend to construct separate entry and exit points or there are two (2) or more entry levels or multiple ramps.

Please ensure that you read Council's specification document on the number of driveways permitted before submitting an application.  

If I have site plans for my driveway do I still need to submit the Driveway Plan Template?

Site Plans generally provide a basic indication of where the driveway is proposed to be constructed. Council’s Driveway Plan Template requests more comprehensive dimensional information that will assist in determining whether your proposed driveway complies with Council’s specification, and can be constructed.

Is my property on a State road, and if so what do I have to do?

If the proposed work is located on any of the following streets/roads, you will be required to obtain a Road Occupancy Licence from the RMS (Traffic Management Centre) prior to the lodgement of the Driveway &/or Ancillary Works Construction by Private Contractor application form:

  • Victoria Road
  • Concord Road
  • Parramatta Road
  • Homebush Bay Drive
  • Ramsay Road, Five Dock
  • Queens Road, Five Dock
  • Bayswater Street, Drummoyne
  • Westbourne Street, Drummoyne
  • Marlborough Street, Drummoyne
  • Gipps Street/Patterson Street, Concord
  • Lyons Road between Great North Road and Victoria Road
  • Leicester Avenue between Parramatta Road and Raw Square
  • Fairlight Street between Ramsay Road and Great North Road
  • Great North Road between Parramatta Road and Lyons Road