Planning Proposals

A Planning Proposal is required where a landowner or proponent seeks to amend Council’s Local Environmental Plan (LEP). Land rezoning is an example of a process that requires a Planning Proposal.

What is a Local Environmental Plan (LEP)?

A LEP is prepared by Council to guide planning decisions for the local government area and is principally made up of a written instrument and associated maps. Through zoning and development standards, it allows Council to manage the ways in which land is used.

A LEP is prepared in accordance with the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 (EP&A Act 1979), and Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2000.

Planning Proposals

The preparation of a planning proposal is the first step in making an amendment to the LEP. A planning proposal is a document that explains the intended effect of, and justification for, the proposed amendment.  Planning Proposals are to be prepared in accordance with the following guidelines:

The City of Canada Bay's role

The first step in the process is to talk to a Planner in Council's Strategic Planning team. Staff can explain the process and provide advice specific to the proposal.

A planning proposal must be formally considered at a Council meeting. Council officers will prepare a report on the merits of the proposal.

Council does not have to support applications for rezoning of land. Similarly, a Council resolution to prepare a planning proposal or an amendment to the LEP does not necessarily guarantee that the proposal or rezoning will proceed.

Online tracking of a Planning Proposal

An online tracking system is available for any person to follow the process of a Planning Proposal once it has been submitted to the Department of Planning, Industry and Environment.

What information needs to be submitted with a Planning Proposal Application?

A planning proposal application must be accompanied by a completed Council application form, information to support the proposal and the applicable fee.

Planning proposal applications will require external planning expertise on behalf of the applicant. It is recommended that a town planning consultant be engaged for the preparation of planning proposal applications, regardless of whether the proposal is of a minor or major nature. Other specialist consultants may also be needed to provide technical input to the proposal.

Click here for a Planning Proposal Application Form

Minor LEP or DCP - $10,000  

Major DCP - $30,000

Major LEP - $100,000 

Note: A Minor LEP generally refers to a single allotment spot rezoning generated by a planning anomaly or inconsistency, or minor amendments such as the modification of a development standard. These rezoning are generally not complex or contentious. A Major LEP refers to all other rezoning applications submitted to Council. Please confirm with Council’s Strategic Planning team whether the Planning Proposal is “minor” or “major” prior to submitting Planning Proposal. Fees for both major and minor LEP amendments are not refundable.

Further information about the process can be obtained from the NSW Department of Planning and Environment

Council's Strategic Planning team can be contacted on 9911 6555.

How to lodge a Planning Proposal

Planning Proposals are to be lodged with the City of Canada Bay via the NSW Planning Portal, provided by the Department of Planning, Industry and Environment.

To register for an account via the Planning Portal, please visit the NSW Planning Portal or click here to register