Skip to main content

Skip bins & transport

Skip bins

Placement of skip bins on Council property (e.g. the road or verge) requires Council approval. However, placement of skip bins on private property does not require application or notification to Council.

Council approval is received by lodgement of a Skip Bins on Public Land Application Form and payment of fees.

Fees are included on the Application Form — they include an application fee, daily fee and refundable bond. The bond is refunded following inspection after the skip has been removed.

Lawful disposal of waste

Waste generated from construction and demolition sites, including soil, contaminated soil and demolition waste, must be disposed of or re-used lawfully.

If a quote for managing waste is low, find out why. The company may be avoiding costs by transporting waste to a place that cannot lawfully be used as a waste facility. 

If waste is disposed of unlawfully, the owner of the waste and the waste transporter may both be guilty of an offence under Section 143 of the NSW Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997.

Penalties apply for doing the wrong thing:

  • Up to $1,000,000 for a corporation
  • Up to $250,000 for an individual.

The NSW Environment Protection Authority provides a guide for owners on the lawful disposal of construction and demolition waste

Council officers may enter premises to examine and inspect work, require records to be produced or copied, and assess compliance with approved Waste Management Plans. View Council's fact sheet on Waste Auditing for more information.