Skip to main content

Road and footpath openings

If you are planning to undertake works between your property boundary and the kerb and gutter or road (Council land), then you must seek approval from Council under Section 138 of the Roads Act, 1993.

If you intend to open a section of Council land solely for the purpose of connecting from a property to a Utility then you must apply for and obtain Road &/or Footpath Opening approval.

Where the Road &/or Footpath opening works form part of a DA, the issuing of Development Consent DOES NOT constitute approval to carry out works in Council land. You must apply through a Road &/or Footpath opening by Private Contractor application.

If your proposed opening is in conjunction with a driveway application and within the frontage of your property then you should read the Driveway & Ancillary Works Application process.

You need to submit this application if you are looking to carry out any of the following Road &/or Footpath works in Council land: 

  • Stormwater Connection/Repair
  • Sewer Connection/Repair
  • Water Connection/Repair
  • Electricity Connection/Repair
  • Gas Connection/Repair
  • Other Utility Connections/Repair
  • Any Investigative works in Council land

Below, you will find information on the steps required in order to obtain Road &/or Footpath opening approval. It is important you read the following steps and information carefully before lodging an application.

More information

Understanding Council's Road Reserve Opening Approval Process

1. Submit a Road Reserve Opening Application

Once you have determined the scope of the proposed Road Reserve Opening and reviewed Council’s Specifications, you are required to submit a Road Reserve Opening application.

This application is to seek permission to carry out a road opening in Council owned land (which includes road reserve, footpath and nature strip) and carry out the temporary restoration only

Please note you cannot commence works at this stage. This DOES NOT constitute consent.

2. Agree Scope & Cost of Works with Council Inspector

Council's Civil Infrastructure Department will contact the applicant to arrange a joint site inspection to determine the site area and cost of works upon the application being successful. A Cost of Works Determination will be issued with payment required within 48 hours of issue.

Please note you cannot commence works at this stage. This DOES NOT constitute consent.

3. Pay agreed Scope & Cost of Works determination

Upon receipt of the Cost of Works Determination you can elect to make payment either via:

  1. Paying over the counter with Council's Customer Service. Payment is to be made within 48 hours of issue. 
  2. Invoice. An invoice will be issued to you via email within 24 hours and payment required within 48 hours of issue. Payment can be made through Council's e-Services hub.

Please note you cannot commence works at this stage. This DOES NOT constitute consent.

4. Permit issued

Once payment of the Cost of Works has been received and finalised your permit will be processed and issued via email.  

Please note no work shall commence without the written permission from Council granting Construction consent.