Business & construction waste

Business waste

All properties classified Commercial or Non Rateable in Council’s rating system can elect to have a Council or private company waste collection service.  Council offers the equivalent of its residential bin service to commercial properties with the exclusion of the kerbside bulk household collection.

Apply for a paid council collection of your business waste and recycling - Application Form.

While Council’s commercial property waste collection service operates 5 days a week, (Mon-Fri), commercial properties electing to use Council’s commercial service will only be serviced once a week.  The servicing day will align with the residential collection zone of the area your property is located within.

Waste, recycling and garden organics services are available with the following collection frequencies:

•             Waste, collected weekly

•             Recycling, collected fortnightly

•             Garden Organics, collected fortnightly (alternate week to recycling) optional

All commercial properties wanting to utilise Councils service are required to have a recycling bin as part of their service.

A Council commercial property waste collection service is available for a fee by completing the below application form. The form must be lodged to commence, increase, decrease or cancel a waste service and a minimum two weeks’ notice must be given for any changes.

Find out about programs and assistance for businesses as part of the NSW EPA Bin Trim Program. Find a recycler or recycling equipment at Planet Ark’s Business Recycling Directory. For more information please visit our Sustainable Business page.

Construction waste

Waste is not just unwanted material, it includes:

  • Excavated material such as dirt, sandstone and soil

  • Construction, building and demolition waste such as asphalt, bricks, concrete, plasterboard, timber and vegetation

  • Asbestos and contaminated soil.

View Council's fact sheets on Demolition and Construction Waste as well as Waste Auditing for more information.

Skip bins

Placement of Skip bins on Private Property - requires no application or notification to Council. Placement of Skip Bins on Council Property - (e.g. the road) requires Council approval.

Council approval is received by lodgement of a Skip Bins on Public Land Application Form and payment of fees. Fees are included on the Application Form - they include an application fee, daily fee and refundable bond. The bond is refunded following inspection after the skip has been removed.

Transport waste to a lawful facility

Section143 of the NSW Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997 requires waste to be transported to a place that can lawfully accept it. The owner of the waste and the transporter are each guilty of an offence when waste is transported to a place that cannot lawfully be used as a waste facility. Relying on advice from others, such as consultants, contractors or managers of waste facilities, is not a defence for transporting waste to a place that cannot lawfully be used as a waste facility. The owner of the waste and the transporter can be ordered to clean up and pay for such waste to be taken to a lawful place

If a quote for managing waste is low, find out why. The company may be avoiding costs by transporting waste to a place that cannot lawfully be used as a waste facility. If waste is illegally dumped and harms the environment, the maximum penalty is $5 million or 7 years imprisonment.

See more information on managing Illegal Dumping in City of Canada Bay Council.